Thursday, February 14, 2008

I found my Grandma

It has been nearly a decade since I last saw Grandma.

Even though I knew of her existence since I was very young, I did not meet Grandma till I was in my teens. Due to some circumstances, she had to leave home when my dad was around 3 years old.

I think Grandma and I have some affinity for each other, I like her since the very first time I saw her. Grandma carry herself very well and being a pious Christian, she does volunteer work for the chapel. Sadly, we lost contact with each other once again nearly 10 years ago.

I knew dad missed Grandma even though he did not explicitly say it. Just the other day, our car stopped at the junction of St. Andrew's Cathedral and the old Capitol cinema, dad just muttered that Grandma used to work in the bookstore at the bend of the road.

Being a mother myself, I believe that Grandma must be also thinking about her own children. Yet due to circumstances, unable to reunite. That made me make up my mind to look for Grandma.

I tried to check with my eldest uncle but he said that he does not have Grandma's contact. I tried to search for her name in the chapel that she is active in but to no avail. Then I tried the yellow pages... hoping that her house is still registered under her name and that her old address is still valid.

Perhaps, the UNIVERSE has aligned itself to help me find Grandma. I was searching, searching, searching then I saw her name appear and the street name is the same as her previous address. However, the block number has changed. I am not taking chances, I will call the number I found.

.... ring... ring... ring... (Oh dear! my palm is getting sweaty) "Hello... " I can recognise that voice! More importantly, Grandma sounded healthy. I talked with her and passed the phone to my mum who was eagerly waiting for her turn. The conversation lasted about 30 minutes. I am very glad that the phone call turned out the way I hoped for it to be.

Grandma kept saying "thank you" to us for calling. Grandma, why is there a need to say thank you?

As I grow older, I learn to appreciate my parents more and I am sure my dad also appreciates his mum for bringing him to this world. We should say thank you to you instead, Grandma. :)

I am extremely glad I made the move to find Grandma. And Kai Hock, thank you for all your encouragements.

------------ posted by mommy

1 comment:

babyvinz said...

I feel very happy for u, for I can only think of my grandma n grandpa now.....

 
Google