Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sleep Talk

While unpacking the 50+ boxes we brought from our old place, I uncovered a book that I store away long time ago called "Sleep Talk".

I used to do sleep talk to Jiaheng when he was younger to train him to sleep more soundly. It seemed to work. Kai Hock's buddy also had some positive experiences with sleep talk when he used it to combat bitting habit for his twins.

As the first page of the book suggests "SLEEP TALK - A breakthrough Technique For Helping Your Child Cope With Stress And Thrive Through Difficult Transitions".

It seems to be all encompassing isn't it. It has Sleep Talk for Picky Eater, Sleep Talk for Sleeping, Sleep Talk for Toilet Training, Sleep Talk for Manners, Sleep Talk for Fingernail biting etc etc. It covers Sleep Talk for various stages of a child, Infants to Adolescence.

The way Sleep Talk works is to make use of the child's awareness of sounds during sleep. At a particular stage of their sleep, the parent will read a script to the child. The script will address a particular issue with the child. It is believed that at the stage of deepest sleep of the child, the child will be very aware of sounds and the script will offer the child alternatives to his present behavior that may result in greater success.

The book even provides scripts meant for addressing various issues. How thoughtful. This book is definitely worth exploring.

Give you a sample:

The following script is for addressing Bet-Wetting issue:

"Damon, this is your mum.
I just want to let you know how much I love you.
I just want you to know how proud I am that you are my son.
I want to let you know how proud of you I am when you wake up in the morning and your pajamas are dry.
When you wake up, you have plenty of time to get to the toilet.
I appreciate it when your bedsheets and you are dry.
I am proud of you because I know that you are proud of yourself.
It does not matter where you spend the night - you wake up in a dry bed.
Thank you for being my son.
I love you so very much.
Sweet Dreams"

The author of the book is Lois Haddad, R. N. Why not check out this book if you have done all you possibly could for your child but still does not see desirable result?


------- posted by Mommy

1 comment:

Baking Paradise said...

Hi
Tse Wern & Kai Hock
Happy National Day! :)
Rgds
Yvonne, Yong Xun & FAmily

 
Google