Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Could This Be Your Dilemma Too?

In March 2003, my father had a major stomach operation. Half of his stomach was cut off. I would visit him at 7am in the morning before rushing off to work at 8 o'clock, thus leaving him alone in the hospital.

There was always a look of reluctance when I told him I have to leave, this deeply saddens me.

He had done so much to bring me up but I can’t even be with him when he needed me most. There is just that much I can do.

Since then, I kept asking myself, “In the event that something were to happen to my son or my wife and they need my time, can I give them my time? Yes, I can.

I can quit my JOB.

But, who’s going to pay the BILLS?”


It was around the same time that my son was born.

I have always hoped to be there to witness my son’s major milestones, his first word and his first step. But again, I couldn’t. I had to be at the office from 8am to 6pm.

By the time I reached home, I was already exhausted after a hard day’s work. As much as I wanted to play with him, I just don’t have the energy.

My first taste of bonding with him was when I had to clear ten days of annual leave in a row. Despite the short period, our relationship improved.

At least I can proudly say that I can take mommy’s place for half a day. (For daddies out there, I am sure you know what an incredible feat it is to do that without the baby screaming his lungs out to get to mommy)

However, it only lasted 10 days and I am back into the RAT RACE.


I had to resign myself to the fact that

I have to bring in the money every month

and there is nothing that I can do.

And I was not happy.


Why did I end up in this dilemma?

Since young, I have been told to study hard during my school days so that I can get a good paying job later. I obtained my First-Class Honours and my Masters degree. I became a researcher in the University.


I did just what I was told

but I end up having no freedom.


I am bounded hand and foot by my company because I have sold my time to them. It was then that I told my wife that ...


Something has to CHANGE.

We don't know HOW
but we know something has to CHANGE.


The FORMULA of going to work everyday to earn a paycheck every month simply does not make sense to me. I wanted family time but continuing with what I am doing, I don't see myself having more family time 5 years down the road. In fact, I see myself having less family time with more work responsibility ahead.

It was by chance that I came across a book called "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki at the bookshop. The first book was kind of interesting but it was the second book, "The Cashflow Quadrant" that enlightened me.

The ideas in the book made total sense to me. In it, the book explained the secrets behind "why rich people are rich while average people remain poor". I start to understand that employers would pay employees only enough to stay on the job. They would not pay more as these will be viewed as expenses.

However, the real winner at the end of the day is the employer who leverage on our time to do work for them. They are the ones who can afford a luxurious vacation and a big house. In a nutshell, I understand that...


we have to first own a business that

earns a leveraged and residual income.


We do not know HOW but we are one step closer to our freedom.

The search for our freedom continues. After one year of searching, trying and evaluating,

I finally found a good way to earn our residual income.

We started a business partnering Mr Robert Allen, a multi-million dollars financial guru. (http://www.robertgallen.com).

Now, I am aiming towards ...

"choosing to work (in a JOB), rather than having to work"


Want to learn more about how to do that?

email me at kaihock@gmail.com

No comments:

 
Google