Wednesday, August 30, 2006

To School : My Son & I

My son, Jiaheng was born on 12 April, 2003. He is now a happy, bubbly and chatty 3-year old. He now attends a 3-hour pre-nursery school and enjoys it tremendously.

I was born on 5 June, 1973. I am now a focused, determined 33-year old dream-seeker.

So what’s my dream? There are many … but one that stood out among the rest is to bring my son to school and back everyday. Har!?? Are you sure this is your dream?... you may ask. Absolutely! … comes my reply.

It’s a simple thing to do… to bring your child to school daily and spend time with him along the way… and then be there to bring your child back after school. But, realistically speaking, how many of us can really afford to do this? Why? Because, most of us are stuck in a JOB at that time.

To me, it’s a real magical moment to be awaken by Jiaheng’s sweet calls instead of a cold, mechanical alarm clock. And the process of getting ready for school and the journey to school can be equally rewarding. We can enjoy breakfast together without having to rush. There can be so much to chat about… and much more exclusive father & son time.

But that most awaited moment will be to see that big smile on Jiaheng’s face when he raises both his hands to wave good-bye to me just before he goes into his school. That warm smile tells me that the time spent with Jiaheng has been fruitful for both of us.

Similarly, I look forward to seeing him march out of the class after school. While waiting, I look around me… I see mommies, grandparents, maids… but no daddies. Hey! I was the only daddy there! It makes me proud. Then the class door opens... seeing Jiaheng’s eagerly walk towards me and feeling his hug makes me happy. It also further strengthens my belief that I have to pursue this dream of mine.

You can never have enough of your precious child. We have to learn to enjoy them while they are still close to us. They can grow up very fast, too fast for us in fact... Before we know it, they have already passed those precious childhood days.

.

No comments:

 
Google