Thursday, June 04, 2009

The Games We Play

I really find that playing games is the best way to teach our children. There are so many learning points we can derive from well-selected toys.

Yixuan is really into a few games right now.

Game #1 - UNO
---------
Yes, you are right. She can play a game of UNO independently. The only challenge is that she has issues holding up the 7 cards fanned out in her tiny hand. So, the best she can do is to place the cards all faced up on the floor. We the professionals will hold the cards in our hands and spy on what cards she has at the same time so that we can strategise our winning moves. ^^

Rules wise, we go for the most basic i.e. no placing of double cards; no interception; no reverse; no skip. Lest the many variations puts her off. However, the main teaching points in the game is to teach her to match numbers and colours. I must say she is a fast learner. After 1 session with her Papa, she is ready to play.

She even manages to win & wow Grandma with her new skills. Ha ha


Game #2 - Giant Floor Jigsaw Puzzle
---------
The Alphabet Jigsaw was actually inherited from Jiaheng. It covers a floor area of about 60 cm by 100 cm.

For beginnings, it is better to start with bigger pieces of puzzles. It is easier to handle and not so straining on their eye sight. And it is just so accomplished for them to see a giant piece of work done. Yeh!

I will first dramatise the process of searching for the correct placement for a piece of puzzle. Soon, I find that Yixuan will imitate me looking at the model answer on the puzzle box and try to match the placement of the piece that she is holding. From that first piece, she will find the other connecting pieces and slowly grow the puzzle. Most times, she can finish the 26 piece puzzle herself with a little help here and there.

Well, I could have just done the 'start from A and form to Z' method. But, I find that the forming of the puzzle with different starting pieces proves more challenging for the girl. That is when I can say "What is the piece BELOW G?" "What is the piece ABOVE K?" etc. Another great learning opportunity, isn't it?

I am really not too surprised to hear Yixuan trying to use the prepositions like BELOW and ABOVE the next few days though she mixed it up most of the time. Whatever!.... It is still a good try. :)


Game #3 - Scissors, Paper, Stone
---------
Yes, it is the good old Scissors, Paper, Stone game that we played when we were kids.

Think about it... it is pretty good motor skills for a 2.5 years old to come out with a Scissors sign.

I was lazing on the bed when Yixuan requested to go pee pee in the toilet. As I just laid down, this lazy-bum-bum mummy was really very reluctant to get up and bring her to the toilet. So, I asked Kai Hock to bring her. As usual,Yixuan refused. It is strange sometimes why there are so many things that ONLY mummy can do in the eyes of the little ones.

To keep my chance to continue to laze around, I suggested that we play Scissors, Paper, Stone. If I win, then Papa will bring her to toilet. If she wins, then I will bring her to toilet. I thought that I had everything planned out. I predicted that she will come up with an easy Stone sign (showing a fist). Else, it will be a Paper sign (showing an open hand). For me, I will come up with a Paper sign to counter her. Smart right?

Lo and Behold, while mine was a Paper sign, hers was the Scissors sign (showing a Victory sign horizontally). Aarrghhh... how can this be? Really 人算不如天算喔。What can I say but to concede defeat. Just got to crawl out of bed and bring the victorious girl to pee pee lor.

Really cannot under-estimate the learning ability of this 小不点 and the power of learning with FUN!

----------- posted by Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tse Wern!

Guess I can play the scissors, paper, stone with Joy too. She's been trying to show 1, 2, 3... with her fingers and always trying so hard to manipulate her fingers, but she doesn't give up. I really feel that its worthwhile staying at home, wathcing our little ones grow!

Mavis

Quek Kai Hock said...

Couldn't agree more :) Time spent with the little dearies is priceless.

Must thank them for giving us so much joy too :P

 
Google