Friday, June 05, 2009

Our Comical Family Tree

At the breakfast table this morning, Jiaheng & I were trying to sort out the relationships among our relatives for Yixuan. E.g: Who is Papa's Mama? Who is Mama's Papa? etc

I suppose Jiaheng and I didn't do a good job cos the little girl seems pretty confused. In the end, I decided to draw out a simplified family tree for her.

(Stage 1 : Basic) Only drew Kai Hock, me and Jiaheng and Yixuan. (and of course, must draw long hair for the girl and punky hair for the boy) Simple questions just revolving Kai Hock, me, Jiaheng and Yixuan were asked to check for understanding. The results .... 100%! yeh! Pass with flying colours.



















(Stage 2 : Intermediate) I added in 阿公, 阿媽(the paternal grandparents), 公公 and 婆婆 (the maternal grandparents). Somehow, the little girl seems to think that 阿公 is my father instead of 公公. So mummy has no choice but to put in some distinction to the drawing. This girl is really pushing her mummy's drawing skills to the limit (as if there were any to start off with :P)

So I drew a strawberry next to 阿公 (cos 阿公 is our faithful strawberry supplier to make the little princess happy). And I drew a moustache on the icon symbolising 公公 (and Jiaheng was simply tickled when he saw the moustache I drew... hmmm... is it really that funny??)

Ah... this distinction seems to do the trick and the little girl cleared Stage 2 too. Seems like Mummy has not forgotten what she learnt while teaching to start off with concrete examples and move towards abstract association.


(Stage 3 : Advanced) Actually, I was a bit reluctant to proceed to Advanced stage. Thot of just letting the information seep in for the little girl but Jiaheng just kept encouraging us to continue. So, we added in 3 姑姑 and 1 舅舅. Conclusion... Blur.

Stage 3 failed. Kua Kua Kua... Never mind, we can always try again next time with more people added to the family tree. A long list to go : 大姑丈,二姑丈, 大表哥, 二表哥, 三表哥, 表弟, 舅妈, 太婆, 曾祖父, 曾祖母。

One thing I am grateful is that my mum-in-law insists that we address our elders according to their seniority. Hence the many terms. She always says "Don't call auntie and uncle. Must call properly. There are so many uncles and aunties in the streets."

P.S. In case you are wondering why 舅舅 has rounded ears, his is a fan of Mickey, that's why.


--------posted by Mommy

No comments:

 
Google