Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Happy

I signed up for an insurance policy with AIA many years ago. One good thing about this policy is that it allows me to go for a complimentary body check-up once every 2 years. Besides eating well and taking our supplements daily, we also feel that a check-up is important to monitor the status of our health.

As there was fasting involved, I booked my appointment early in the morning. There is no need for me to travel so early in the morning now, so I was quite overwhelmed by the huge crowd of people on the bus as well as the MRT. Most of them seemed to be in a hurry. So I got to "siam" here and "siam" there so as not to "kanna" knock by people.

The clinic is situated in International Plaza, right smack in the CBD. It is on the 36th floor. It was a beautiful morning, I was feeling refreshed. Unfortunately, the staff are not as cheerful. The lady who was doing the initial test for me was somewhat grumpy.

The lady doctor who was supposed to attend to me rushed into the room. There were already 3 patient files slotted in the small window next to the room door. Since I was the 3rd patient, I saw how the doctor opened the door, called for a name, a patient went in with a straight face and then came out with a straight face. Then time to call for the next patient.

Why like that? No warmth one ah? So I decided to try out an experiment. When it was my turn. I went in, smiled and greeted the doctor "Good morning Doctor". She replied good morning without even looking at me. Then I went on "How are you today?" with a more upbeat tone.

I think she was caught off-guard with my greeting but instantly, I could sense a change in her attitude. She looked at me and smiled.

After that smile, the whole check-up progressed very amiably. We chatted and found that she has 3 children and the youngest one is only 6 months old. We talked about our breastfeeding experience. She even gave me some advice on children vaccination.

Before, I left the room. The doctor commented that homemaker mothers are happier. We both laughed. Are we? Perhaps. :)

Before I left the clinic, I said "Goodbye" and added "Have a nice day" to the reception lady. She smiled and returned the greeting.

A little gesture, a smile, a genuine greeting can really work wonder. It brightens up other people's day as well as mine. The feeling is good. I am happy I did that experiment.

No comments:

 
Google