Sunday, December 23, 2007

Interesting lesson on parenting for me

Jiaheng and I went to 弟子规 today. Just my boy and me. Cos Yixuan is down with false measles and Mommy is staying home with her.

Just as we arrived at Fortune Center, Jiaheng asked if he could take over the long umbrella that I was holding. I replied, "You can have the umbrella if you can handle it properly". Jiaheng promptly and readily said "OK!"

Hearing Jiaheng agreeing so readily, I was about to hand it to him. Then, I recalled a strategy mentioned in a parenting book. And so I added, "If you cannot handle the umbrella properly, I will have to take it back".

When Jiaheng heard that his privilege will be taken away if the umbrella was mishandled. He quickly asked "Pa what is handle properly?" Hmmm.. so he does not understand what I meant by handling the umbrella properly afterall.

Thinking deeper, he is just a 4-year old who is so ready to agree to what you say just so he can get the umbrella. Then hearing that there is a condition tagged to keeping the umbrella with him, he quickly asked "What is handle properly???"

I then told him that it means not to drag the umbrella along while walking, not to poke the umbrella into the ground like a walking stick, just to hold it properly so that it will not be a hazard to the people around him.

Orh... he said. Guess what he did? Jiaheng decided to just hold the long umbrella vertically up in the air. He looked so cute! A short while later, he said "Pa, my arms are very tired." Ha ha ha. Really 啼笑皆非 man!

Once home, I shared this incident with Mommy and we had a good laugh over it. I learnt something from this incident... i.e. never assume the child understands everything just because he says "OK" to your request. And always make an effort to explain words that you suspect may be out of the child's vocab.

I always tell Tse Wern that learning how to be a good parent is even more challenging than doing my Masters Degree. We are learning everyday.

No comments:

 
Google