Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Lunch with My Father

I come from a family of 4 siblings. I have 3 elder sisters and I am the youngest. My father was the sole breadwinner of the family when we were young. My mum is a traditional woman who works hard looking after us.

Since young, I seldom have much recollection about my father as we rarely spend time together. He was often working long hours as times were hard raising 4 young children. One of the most vivid thing I remember about my childhood was that my father will buy back supper and he will wake us up to eat.

Sad to say, I do not have much knowledge about my father. I do not know much about his childhood or about his growing-up years. We hardly have a chance to talk about all these things as survival and bringing home the bread was more important.

Recently I have an idea. Why not have a lunch date with my father? Just the two of us. And he can tell me more about his past so that I can get to know the man who took pains to bring me up.

So it's set. It is arranged that we go for my father's favourite beef kway teow at Geylang Lor 9.

My father is not the chatty type who opens easily to people. Although we did not talk alot, I still managed to gather a fair bit of information about him and his past.

I tell myself.... we must have more of such dates in future. I definitely do not wish to leave in regret that I do not get to know my father better when I have the chance.

No comments:

 
Google