Tuesday, November 03, 2009

sailing...kangaroos... Perth

My wife and I spent 4 wonderful days in Perth, Australia. This is my first time in Perth and the second time for Tse Wern.

It was a fully-packed 4 days, with activities arranged neck-to-neck. We were given the best lodging, the best food, the best treatment, the best experience. 4 days of great learning from inspiring leaders and 4 days of great fun.

Our hotel was next to a beach. The coastline is so long that it seems that it is never going to end. The sand was white and the sea was shades of blue and turquoise. The food is good just that there is no Chinese food for the 4 days in Perth. Yup! No wanton noodles, no chee cheong fun, no nasi lemak. Still, the food is tasty and most of the time grilled or boiled so very healthy.

We got a chance to do a dinner cruise at Swan Lake to admire the skyline along the coast as the boat cruised down the calm waters. And on the last night, we experienced a Gala Dinner. Yes, I know we must be super formal for Gala Dinner but I did not put on a tuxedo, just settled for a suit. But, my dear wife made a great fuss over what she will be wearing. Husbands out there, you will know what I mean. :P

How can a trip to Australia be complete without a visit to the kangaroos? They are very gentle and friendly animals. I was feeding one super active kangaroo and when I turned to leave, it actually reached out to clutch my hand. See how charming I am, even a kangaroo cannot resist me. :P

If you asked me what is one thing I remember most about Perth.... I will say its Sailing!

We were told that people in Perth love sailing. And we got first hand experience in doing that. It was thrilling. Our boat was travelling at about 20 knots and the wind direction kept changing that afternoon and we were like changing sides ever so often! There were a few times when I really thought that someone is going to drop into the water as the boat went like near 150 degree down into the water on one side.

I really marvel at how our boat captain can sail a boat single-handedly. I mean there were like 6 people working together to get our boat moving. When it was time to turn, one person got to release the rope on one side, the other got to tighten the rope on the other. Then one person got to ease the sail in the middle of the boat and one more got to steer. Not to mention, we need someone to tighten the wench when the rope is being tightened. Just so much action going on ALL AT THE SAME TIME! It was chaotic but FUN!

Definitely a good trip.

No comments:

 
Google